- Torii Hunter is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. He will be very, very expensive;
- Johan Santana is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2008 season. He will command insane free agent numbers and it would be wise for the Twins to give him crazy money this winter to keep him happy;
- Michael Cuddyer is at the end of a one-year contract he signed just before heading to arbitration, so he'll be a free agent;
- Justin Morneau is at the end of a one-year contract and is arbitration-eligible this season;
- Joe Nathan, is wrapping up his two-year contract that the Twins have an option to extend one more year;
- Carlos Silva, is ending his one-year contract.
There are more decisions to be made as well, but these kinds of contract conundrums would force any front office person to the "consultant" position. It appears as if the Pohlads are setting a team salary limit similar to the almost $72 million they spent this season (19th highest in the Major Leagues). Terry Ryan is no idiot. He can add. Someone has to go. I'm guessing the owners said they are to keep someone important and drop someone important. Terry Ryan just didn't want to be the one holding the pen on that one.